A six-year-old boy was killed in a bicycle accident in Pullman, Washington. Pullman Police say an exposed rough metal edge on one side of the handlebars caused a fatal wound when the handlebars flipped towards him from the bike accident. The boy was transported to a nearby hospital in critical condition before being flown to Spokane, where he later died. This is a huge tragedy which no parent or guardian should have to face. Here are some tips to keep your kids safe from a bicycle accident.
How to Prepare Your Kids to Avoid a Bike Accident
Every year about 400,000 kids are treated in the emergency room for bicycle-related injuries. Some bike accidents are inevitable, regardless you can prepare your kids to avoid a bike accident with the proper technique. The following are some tips to help prepare your kids to avoid a bike accident.
- Make sure your kids are wearing a good bike helmet whenever they are on their bike. A helmet will help protect your child from head and brain injuries.
- Prepare your child’s bike with a tune-up. For example, wipe off the frame, make sure bolts are tight, lubricate the chain, check the brakes and inflate any flat tires. This will help prevent common bike accidents such as a chain breaking or a flat tire.
- Practice helping your kids avoid hazards such as large rocks, toys, potholes, etc. while riding their bike.
- Teach your kids their bike is to be treated like a vehicle, not a toy. Bicyclists have the same rules to follow as a vehicle whenever it enters the roadway.
- Start with teaching some basic rules of the road such as stay to the right, keep a safe distance from other bikes or people, look both ways, etc.
Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you or your child has been injured in a bike accident from the negligence of another, contact the experienced lawyers of Parke Gordon Law Firm to handle your kids. Our aggressive and experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for every penny you are owed. We believe every client deserves fair representation against big insurance companies with deep pockets. Call our Spokane law office now for a free consultation at (509) 482-7274.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case