Semi truck accidents and car accidents differ in many ways. Though both semi truck accidents and car accidents both happen frequently. For instance, of the 32,000 people that died in a car accident, nearly 5,000 of those involved a semi-truck. Consequently, 80 percent of the 500,000 semi truck accidents that occur each year, only 20 percent are caused by semi truck drivers. Many people may think a semi truck accident is the same as a car accident; they are not.
How Semi-Truck Accidents and Car Accidents Differ
Here are some differences between semi truck accidents and car accidents.
- Weight and size. A normal size car weighs about 4,000 pounds. Now compare that to a semi truck which weighs roughly 80,000 pounds. The force from a car accident can be bad enough. But calculate the impact with a vehicle that weighs 20 times the amount of your car and you can probably guess you’re in trouble.
- Fault of the accident. If the accident was the fault of the semi truck driver, the driver is not the only one at fault. The trucking company and truck manufacturer could also be liable. A trucking company will be held responsible for the maintenance of the semi truck as well as the driver’s hours and log files.
- Log files of the truck driver. Every truck driver is required to record the number of miles and hours they drive. This logs will track the amount of driving time, how many times they stop, how long they rest, etc. Your attorney will be able to get access to the truck driver’s log for evidence.
- Property damage. Due to the weight and size of a semi truck, the damage could be much worse than if you had hit a car. The personal injuries in a semi truck accident are also usually much worse and sometimes even fatal.
- How insurance covers the accident. A semi truck will carry more coverage due to the more likely hood of an accident and the greater property damage. Many people may think they can handle an insurance company. However, hiring personal injury attorney, Mat Parke will help to fight the big insurance companies. Mat can insure that you will get the most compensation from your accident.
Hire Attorney Mat Parke
If you’ve been injured by a semi truck driver, call attorney Mat Parke to handle your case. Mat will know important tactics to cover to get more compensation from the insurance company. He has handled many semi truck accidents. Call (509) 482-7274 for a free consultation.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Spokane, Washington Law Office
Our Spokane, Washington law office services clients in and surrounding Spokane, including for injuries and accidents in Spokane Valley and injuries and accidents in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Visit or call our Spokane office now.421 W Riverside, Suite 1050 Spokane, WA 99201 Phone:(509) 482-7274