Large trucks such as semi-trucks, big rigs, tractor-trailers, or other commercial vehicles present a unique danger to smaller passenger vehicles. Extra caution should always be used when driving near a semi-truck or similar large vehicle. A seemingly minor driving error such as failing to signal before changing lanes, can become catastrophic when an eighteen-wheeler is involved, especially at high speeds. The following are some common causes of semi-truck accidents that you should be aware of to help avoid a semi-truck accident.
When the Semi-Truck Accident is Caused by Passenger Vehicles
Frequently, drivers of passenger vehicles are to blame for semi-truck accidents. The most common reason for unsafe acts committed by car drivers has to do with ignorance of a truck’s abilities. For instance, being able to stop quickly or visibility. The following are more common unsafe acts committed by car drivers that often lead to a semi-truck accident.
- Abruptly changing lanes in front of a large truck.
- Misjudging a truck’s speed and turning in front of the truck.
- Driving in the truck driver’s blind spots.
- Failing to slow down or speed up when a truck is changing lanes or merging onto the roadway.
- Unsafe passing.
- Driving between two or more large trucks.
- Merging improperly into traffic and causing the truck driver to maneuver or brake quickly.
- Failing to get a stalled vehicle completely off the highway.
- Pulling in front of a truck and failing to accelerate sufficiently.
When the Semi-Truck Accident is Caused by the Truck Driver
Semi-truck drivers are trained to be safe on the road. They are typically skilled and patient drivers for the most part. However, semi-truck accidents are still caused by the fault of the truck driver for the following reasons.
- Inadequate truck driving training. Such as driving techniques, safety concerns, and defensive driving techniques.
- Driving more hours than would normally advisable or safe.
- Systems of compensation that encourage the truck driver to drive at unsafe faster speeds.
- Unrealistic schedules and expectations from trucking companies that encourage drivers to hurry despite safety risks.
Do You Have a Semi-Truck Accident Case? Speak to a Parke Gordon Lawyer Now
Do not wait to call a semi-truck accident attorney. Doing so could hurt your case. Call our Spokane law office now for a free consultation at (509) 482-7274. This is your opportunity to discuss your case with an experienced semi-truck accident attorney at Parke Gordon Law Firm in Spokane, WA. Our law firm can help take the stress out of your semi-truck accident claim and make sure you get every penny you are owed. Our law firm works on a contingency fee. You pay nothing until your case is settled. Call (509) 482-7274 now to get started on your semi-truck accident case.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case